SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#137443 - 11/01/02 06:56 AM KN-7000's "flip control panel" I knew I saw Yamaha do it first!
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I thought I saw this "flip lid" design used by Yamaha in the past... Anyone remember this model? I remember playing it in a local store years ago...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=917621363

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#137444 - 11/01/02 07:02 AM Re: KN-7000's "flip control panel" I knew I saw Yamaha do it first!
trtjazz Offline

Interesting piece of gear anyone ever own or play one?
Terry

#137445 - 11/01/02 07:24 AM Re: KN-7000's "flip control panel" I knew I saw Yamaha do it first!
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I sold these many years ago. This keyboard was using FM technology for it's sounds. I believe it was also using FM for it's drum sounds (not samples). It was light and portable (very narrow when the lid was folded down). It was considered very high tech in design for it's day but comparing to today's keyboards.........well you know the answer to this!
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#137446 - 11/01/02 07:39 AM Re: KN-7000's "flip control panel" I knew I saw Yamaha do it first!
Dnj Offline

I played a KN7000 at Dan O's store the other day. Not a bad KB, but the one thing I didn't like was when you flip up the Control panel the keys are recessed into the body of the unit, and both low "C" and high "C" are blocked in so you can't open your hand (pinky) while playing for example an inverted "A/M" chord (C-E-A), theres no room to stretch. Same thing on the right side while playing runs/leads and arpeggios.Your "BLOCKED IN" Bad design in this regard IMO.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 11-01-2002).]

#137447 - 11/01/02 08:15 AM Re: KN-7000's "flip control panel" I knew I saw Yamaha do it first!
svpworld Offline

Loc: UK
I had never noticed that but now looking at the photo I can see this is a big bad point! The keyboard is far too recessed, especially uncomfortable if you try and do a fast run down the keys!!!!

Simon

------------------
http://www.svpworld.com

#137448 - 11/01/02 08:19 AM Re: KN-7000's "flip control panel" I knew I saw Yamaha do it first!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I had a PSR6300. At the time it was the top of the line. It had really good FM brass sounds and electric pianos. The strings were o.k. I midied it to an external drum machine, and used a DX7 for lead sounds.
I later added a piano module (FBO1?) The time frame is fuzzy now. Anyway it was I think the second or third PSR I used after getting away from full-sized organs.
DonM

#137449 - 11/01/02 08:37 AM Re: KN-7000's "flip control panel" I knew I saw Yamaha do it first!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I too just had the chance to audition the Technics KN7000 for the first time yesterday.

I too noticed the key bed being recessed creating a castrophobic feeling when playing though I don't feel it will actually affect your playing once you get use to it.

I was initially suspicious that the all in one integrated lid and tilt control panel display would move or jiggle when pushing the control buttons, but this is NOT the case whatsoever. This tilt panel display is rock solid at ANY position and I was able to push all the buttons freely and with considerable force and without a trace of even panel panel display vibration. The sounds on the KN7000 are first rate and the new on board built in speakers sound second to none.Without a doubt, the KN7000 has the BEST sounding built in on board speakers I've ever heard on any keyboard. The orchestral sounds are the best I've heard (life like), especially like the brass and woodwinds. The piano sounds even more impressive on the KN7000 than on the KN6000. The KN7000 organ sounds, a trademark of Technics from their organ days, really shine and worth the price of admission alone. What really impressed me about the KN7000 most of all is it's design and superior 'build quality'. Nothing cheap or plastic feeling about this machine at all. The synth keys and control panel buttons appear to be solidly contructed and I felt it a joy to play, especially compared to the toy like feel of the PSR2000 which I've become accustomed. I did'nt have time to explore the SD card features, but marel at how small and convenient it is to insert the card as well as admire the blue glow which emunated from that area. Very cool looking. The styles all have the classic high quality Technics sound and as usual the jazz & swing, big band, and latin sounds are standouts. Ok, so what are my beefs? Though the drums ride cymbal, snare, and hi hat sounds are very impressive (light airy, and filled with realistic sparkle), the kick, toms lack adequate punch. Even if I turned up the drum track all the way UP, it seemed I couldn't get enough drum volume. This is especially evident in the drum fills. They seemed to wimpy and often rely on instrumental fills rather than drum parts. I prefer having more punchy drum part fills and playing instrumental fills live on the keyboard myself. The other disappointment is that it's not possible to go from a non neighboring variation without having to press two buttons consequtively. I guess I've just gotten spoiled with the Yamaha auto fill feature. The real killer for me though which is holding me back from buying the KN7000 is its now infamous cheesy sounding and severely limited (in features) built in vocal harmonizer. I know I could just drag my Digitech Vocalist workstation along to gigs, but there is NO place to place the unit on the KN7000 as I was able to do on the KN5000. In addition, I need to save different vocalizer settings along with each songs's registrations. With a 3rd party vocalizer, this isn't really possible. If only Technics would have included a decent vocalizer like Ketron or Yamaha has, the KN7000 would have been at the TOP of my buy list. If you don't sing and/or don't require vocal harmony, and punchy dynamic drum fills are not high on your music style agenda, then the KN7000 may be the RIGHT keyboard for you.

#137450 - 11/01/02 08:53 AM Re: KN-7000's "flip control panel" I knew I saw Yamaha do it first!
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
I don't use it anymore but I still have my Yamaha PS6100. The fold up feature was nice. I bought it new and used it trouble free until I got my X1.

Tom

#137451 - 11/01/02 03:29 PM Re: KN-7000's "flip control panel" I knew I saw Yamaha do it first!
Marilyn Boissoneault Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Florida, USA
The Yamaha PSR 6300 was my very first keyboard. It was great for it's time. I eventually added a Kawaii K1M to my setup to add newer sounds. I liked the flip up keyboard then and I like it now on my new Technic's KN7000.

It had a RAM card to use with it for saving songs and custom rhythm's, very expensive but much better than using the 'tape out'. I had a special tape player for electronic's but it was still iffy on getting stuff back. It was very tempermental on the setting of the tape drive. I had markings etc, but one day things would come back, another they wouldn't. You never knew for sure which day it would work.

Marilyn

#137452 - 11/01/02 03:42 PM Re: KN-7000's "flip control panel" I knew I saw Yamaha do it first!
trtjazz Offline

Marilyn,
I take it you have long since gotten rid of it?
Terry

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 11-01-2002).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online